6 - 12 October
The Celebrate our Seas Festival highlights and addresses issues relevant to the entire marine life environment. The Festival is a National Marine Week Initiative.
Objectives of the Celebrate our Seas Festival
- Creating awareness of the importance and plight of the marine environment targeting the general public and people of influence (teachers, corporates, decision makers etc);
- Changing behaviour- providing people with concrete actions that they can take up to help the marine environment i.e. make it practical;
- Create a groundswell of public demand for change in lifestyles and industry practices;
- Mobilise resources for the Festival in general and conservation research;
- Advocacy and Lobbying initiatives: targeting higher level decision makers for systemic change.
Vision and Values
- For the public to be inspired by ocean life and how important it is to protect, use, sustain and treat responsibly/respectfully;
- To leave with a newfound respect for the ocean, and how it affects me as an individual and the country as a whole in terms of job creation, food security, social issues, socio-economics, livelihoods, sustainability etc.
- To develop an actively engaged society that is informed and inspired towards celebrating and sustaining our oceans.